What is Carpal Tunnel?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a common condition that occurs when the median nerve is squeezed or compressed as it passes through the wrist. It is also known as median nerve compression, which is a condition that causes tingling, numbness, or weakness in your hand. Using the hands and fingers will aggravate the symptoms. In severe cases, this condition can cause weakness in the hand (particularly on the thumb side), muscle wasting over your thumb or clumsiness with the hands!
Carpal tunnel syndrome worsens over time in most people. If left untreated, carpal tunnel syndrome can cause permanent dysfunction of the hand, including sensation loss in the fingers and weakness. For this reason, it is crucial to treat and diagnose carpal tunnel syndrome promptly.
Signs and Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
A combination of various factors causes most carpal tunnel syndrome cases. Studies show that older people and women are more likely to develop this condition. Common signs and symptoms of carpal tunnel include:
- Numbness or pain in one or both hands.
- Tingling or burning in the fingers, particularly the index and the thumb and middle fingers.
- Weakness when gripping items with both hands.
- Swelling of your fingers
- Dropping things because of numbness, weakness or loss of proprioception (being aware where your hand is in space).
- Occasional shock like sensations that radiate to the index and the thumb, ring, and middle fingers.
In most cases, the signs of carpal tunnel syndrome start gradually, without a particular injury. Many patients find that their symptoms go and come at first. But, as the condition worsens, symptoms may occur more regularly or can stay for more extended periods.
What Causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is typically caused by anything that makes your tendons or nerves more significant. It can also be caused by things that make your carpal tunnel smaller. This includes but is not restricted to:
- An arm or wrist injury, such as a fracture or sprain.
- Activities that involve overuse of the hand and wrist, including vibrating tools.
- A tumor or cyst in the carpal tunnel
- Fluid retention during menopause or pregnancy
Anything that irritates or squeezes the median nerve in the carpal tunnel may cause carpal tunnel syndrome. For instance, a wrist fracture can make your carpal tunnel narrow and irritate the nerve.
In most cases, there is no single cause of carpal tunnel syndrome. It may be a result of a combination of factors that contribute to the development of the condition.
What are Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatments?
Our hands and wrists are essential for everyday activities, ranging from how we use our phones to how we work. Numbness, tingling or pain from carpal tunnel syndrome can make these activities difficult. It can also disrupt your sleep patterns if it wakes you up at night.
Once a physician has accurately diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome, there are different treatment options to get relief from wrist and hand pain and other signs associated with this condition.
Treatment options for carpal tunnel syndrome are based on how severe it is, where there is any nerve damage, and whether the previous options have helped. But one of the best non-surgical, noninvasive and painelss treatment options recommended for carpal tunnel syndrome is Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy.
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Extracorporeal implies “happening outside the body“; therefore, carpal tunnel syndrome acoustic wave therapy helps you to have your condition treated without invasive surgery, anesthetics, or treatment.
Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive procedure using sound waves to alleviate pain and instigate healing in carpal tunnel syndrome conditions. But what happens during the shockwave therapy for carpal tunnel syndrome? Our specialists will initially isolate the region that requires treatment, and then, utilizing our focused shockwave equipment, we will begin sending gentle impulses to your carpal tunnel.
These are low-energy acoustic waves, which boost blood flow to the injured area and facilitate your body’s healing process. The process is typically pain-free; importantly, tendons that have become thick because of the scar tissue are thinned and more malleable.
While shockwave therapy to painful areas of the body is a new approach to carpal tunnel syndrome treatment, we had great success with similar procedures involving repairing damage, tissue rejuvenation, and increased blood flow. Generally, two or three appointments will cause an improvement in the carpal tunnel syndrome condition and a faster recovery.
Here are some of the benefits of using shockwave therapy for treating carpal tunnel syndrome:
- Pain reduction: Acoustic wave therapy can help alleviate the pain generally associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. The high-energy waves delivered during the CTS treatment penetrate the impacted tissues, enhancing blood circulation and releasing pain-relieving substances.
- Nerve regeneration: Shockwave therapy facilitates the healing process and development of new blood vessels, ultimately helping repair damaged nerves and easing the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Low-risk and Non-invasive: Unlike surgical procedures, shockwave therapy is non-invasive and doesn’t involve anesthesia or incisions. It has a low risk of developing complications and minimal side effects, making it a viable and safe option for patients who want to leverage non-surgical alternatives before embarking on more invasive procedures.
- Increased range of motion: Carpal tunnel syndrome can impact wrist and hand movement. Shockwave therapy assists in breaking down adhesions and scar tissue, improving the range of motion and flexibility in the affected area. This can lead to reduced discomfort and hand function during everyday activities.
Contact Us for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Shockwave Therapy in Knoxville TN Today
While carpal tunnel syndrome signs come and go at first, as the problem persists, symptoms can become worse. Pain can radiate from the wrists and hands up into the arms and shoulders. However, untreated carpal tunnel syndrome can lead to a chronic pain problem that inhibits your mobility and causes sensory problems throughout your upper body.
If you have been suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome, you don’t need to waste more time. At Wavetech Therapy Knoxville, we are committed to offering premium quality shockwave therapy procedures for carpal tunnel syndrome. Our team of skilled healthcare professionals and therapists have many years of experience administering shockwave therapy.
Our experienced specialists can assess your condition and develop a custom carpal tunnel syndrome treatment plan, including luding extracorporeal therapy. Don’t allow pain to hold you back; experience the great benefits of shockwave therapy with Wavetech Therapy Knoxville. Your journey to a pain-free, brighter future begins here.
Take a proactive step toward your carpal tunnel syndrome and enjoy the potential benefits of acoustic wave therapy at Wavetech Therapy in Knoxville, TN. Call us at 65-387-9534 for more details, or schedule a consultation onlineand begin your journey towards a pain-free life.